It’s been an eventful week! We started off with a very wet kitchen floor. Tyler had been washing the dishes and noticed the pull down spray nozzle was kind of leaky. When I walked up to check it out, my toes hit water. And unless you’re at the beach, that’s never a good feeling (which, funnily enough, we were supposed to be at the beach this week before this pandemic thing happened). We opened the cabinet to find water spewing. Turns out the braided hose that runs through the faucet had sprung a leak and was blasting water backwards through the underside of the sink.
Fortunately, Tyler found a replacement hose online for 20 bucks and it solved the problem. Now I hope the next time my toes hit the tide, we’re on the beach!
In other news, the ground cover plants we ordered arrived! I had purchased some wild ginger plants from Etsy and a package of lungwort bulbs from Breck’s (cute plant name, I know). We need to cover the areas where honeysuckle bush has taken over with something new. As an added complication, our dirt here is either 100% peanut butter clay or rocks (or both!). So we planted the ginger and lungwort in a corner of our yard that is pretty representative of the area we need covered. If either of them manage to survive the landscape, the wildlife, and my ineptitude, then we’ll invest in more of those plants!
This is what our dry creek bed area looks like right now (well, a few weeks ago before the honeysuckle bush really grew up)…
And this is my woodland garden inspo and eventual goal…
We have a ways to go, but won’t it be magnificent?! Just need to run a water line over to this side of the yard… Oh, and figure out how to keep outdoor plants alive.
Since we’re already tackling DIYs that reach far beyond our capabilities, we started looking at the basement windows we ordered when we got supplies delivered for the mini toy shed! Our house was built in the late 70’s, so the single pane windows aren’t cutting it, insulation-wise. The opening size is not exactly standard, so we had to order the best fitting size we could. We aren’t down for spending a fortune on custom-made windows.
Please ignore our pile- we had to move everything away from the walls for our sump pump installation and we’re just leaving it there while we work on finishing the basement. I know I said to ignore it, but just for a second, look at the bottom right hand corner of the photo- you’ll see a treadmill with a bassinet stored on top. That’s all. Look away now.
Currently, we are trying to figure out how to fill in the gaps around the new window with PVC trim board. Don’t worry, we’ve tooootally got this under control! Murphy’s not concerned at all. Hopefully we’ll have some new windows installed before the weekend is over! Fingers crossed!